This section describes how to import products to CubeCart from .csv file - bulk update products.
It's highly recommended to create Database backup before product import, especially if you do it for the first time. Import may be destructive if performed incorrectly.
To import products to CubeCart follow few steps:
- The first thing you need to do is to check/create your .csv file
and to get it ready for import. Make sure it contains all necessary
fields and all data you are going to import is listed in the table. Also
pay attention to the categories, they should be listed in a single
column containing category tree.
If your vendor provides you product list in Excel, you can convert
your Excel files to the CSV format using Microsoft Excel or OpenOffice
application -> Save As option. It allows you to save the file using
alternative file formats. Among the file extensions offered, you can
find Text CSV file format. By saving your file into CSV format,
Microsoft Excel or OpenOffice will export the first active worksheet
with the correct delimiters.
- Once you have your CSV file ready for import start Store Manager, open Products Import/Export wizard and select Import.
- Select the .csv file using browse button [...] or type file path and name.
You can also load import settings saved on the last step of import wizard used to import a file with similar formatting, column names etc.
On the next step, Source file preview, you can see a part of csv file selected for import. Here you need to check whether the first line of your file contains field names
or data. Also you need to check field delimiter character and whether
text values are quoted. Some files may have text enclosed in quotes,
while numeric values may be unquoted.
There's no need to go through all the document, just skim few first
lines. In our case first line contains field names, semicolum (;) is used as fields delimiter and text values are enclosed in double-quotes ("). Just keep it in mind for later on.
Also you may want to start import from any specific line, simply enable the Start Import from row option and specify the line number.
- Select fields delimiter and quote character. If you specify wrong values, file will not be parsed properly and products will not be imported to CubeCart.
- Delimiter Character. Most popular delimiters are comma (,), semicolon (;) and tab character ( ) however other symbols may be used as well.
Note. CSV file contains data in row-column
format and delimiter character is used to separate one column from
another. If you specify incorrect delimiter, file will not be parsed
properly and products will not be imported.
- Quote string values delimiter will be used to separate strings in .csv file. This delimiter can be disabled if none are used.
On previous sample page we have noticed that semicolon symbol
was used as delimiter and values were quoted with " symbol.
- Category delimiter. This is not native .csv setting,
it is used only in Store Manager. As you know categories are organized
in a form of tree, where parent category can contain one or more
subcategories, and subcategory can contain one or more other categories.
Category delimiter character is used to separate category names
and specify full category tree path a specific category. Category path
is very similar to directory path used to specify full file name in
Windows, where every directory separated by backslash (\) character like
this one C:\Program Files\eMagicOne\Store Manager for CubeCart\.
- Import images. You have to enable the import images
feature in order to import images and upload them via ftp. Also to
upload images from your hard drive while import, specify image directory
with images. Note that you should configure FTP connection in
Preferences -> FTP tab before import in order to be able to upload
images to your server.
Update database even if image is not found feature allows you to update database fields without uploading images to your server.
- Base Formats and Separators are used to convert text values from .csv file to numerical and date values. You can set default values here and proceed.
- The next page allows you to Link columns from .csv file to appropriate database fields.
Specify the following options:
- On import preview page you can see how csv file
was processed using import settings specified at previous steps.
Columns that were not assigned will not be imported and those fields
that do not have csv columns linked to them will not be changed. Pay
attention to red blinking arrow which will point the errors if there
- Import options page settings may affect Import results. Please read and check your selection carefully.
ShutDown Computer after import is complete - allows you to shut down your PC automatically when import is complete.
Create import log file - enable the option in order to write detailed import log and specify its name below.
- Add and Modify - will add new product if it is not available in database yet and modify those products that were found
- Add Only - only add new products
- Modify Only - only update existing products and do not add new entries, even if current product was not found
- Just Add - this option may produce product
duplicates, since Store Manager will not try to find existing products
but will only add all products as new
Save Import Configuration. All import settings can be saved under some configuration. You can load it next time you decide to import products to CubeCart from a file with similar formatting, column names etc.
Import process will start, when you press "Import"
Button! Proceed only if all settings are made, otherwise press "Back"
Button and check settings once more!
- On the last step of import wizard you can see if any errors occurred while import.
Most frequent import errors are date, time and
number conversion issues, caused by improper format settings (specified
at previous page) or improperly assigned column (i.e. if you assign
column containing product name to product price database field).
Date/time conversion errors might be ignored
whereas other errors like this one (Could not find image:
image_name.gif) better to be fixed.
Now products import to CubeCart is finished.
By eMagicOne Inc.