This section describes how to upload or update CubeCart customers from .csv file - bulk import customers.
It's highly recommended to create Database backup before customer import, especially if you do it for the first time. Import may be destructive if performed incorrectly.
To import customers to CubeCart follow few steps:
- The first thing you need to do is to check/create your .csv file and
to get it ready for import. Make sure it contains all necessary fields
and all data you are going to import is listed in the table.
If you have the list of Customers in Excel, you can convert your Excel files to the CSV format using Microsoft Excel or OpenOffice
application -> Save As option. It allows you to save the file using
alternative file formats. Among the file extensions offered, you can
find Text CSV file format. By saving your file into CSV format,
Microsoft Excel or OpenOffice will export the first active worksheet
with the correct delimiters.
- Once you have your CSV file ready for import start Store Manager, open Customers Import/Export wizard and select Import.
- Select the .csv file using browse button [...] or type file path and name.
You can also load import settings saved on the last step of import wizard used to import a file with similar formatting, column names etc.
On the next step, Source file preview, you can see a part of csv file selected for import. Here you need to check whether the first line of your file contains field names
or data. Also you need to check field delimiter character and whether
text values are quoted. Some files may have text enclosed in quotes,
while numeric values may be unquoted.
There's no need to go through all the document, just skim few first
lines. In our case first line contains field names, semicolum (;) is used as fields delimiter and text values are enclosed in double-quotes ("). Just keep it in mind for later on.
- Select fields delimiter and quote character. If you specify wrong values, file will not be parsed properly and customers will not be imported to CubeCart.
- Delimiter Character. Most popular delimiters are comma (,), semicolon (;) and tab character ( ) however other symbols may be used as well.
Note. CSV file contains data in row-column
format and delimiter character is used to separate one column from
another. If you specify incorrect delimiter, file will not be parsed
properly and customers will not be imported.
- Quote string values delimiter will be used to separate strings in .csv file. This delimiter can be disabled if none are used.
On previous sample page we have noticed that semicolon symbol was used as delimiter and values were quoted with " symbol
- Base Formats and Separators are used to convert text values from .csv file to numerical and date values. You can set default values here and proceed.
- The next page allows you to Link columns from .csv file to appropriate database fields.
Specify the following options:
- On import preview page you can see how csv file
was processed using import settings specified at previous steps.
Columns that were not assigned will not be imported and those fields
that do not have csv columns linked to them will not be changed.
Import Method settings may affect Import results. Please read and check your selection carefully.
- Add and Modify - will add new customer if it is not available in database yet and modify these customers that were found.
- Add Only - only add new customers
- Modify Only - only update existing customers and do not add new entries, even if current customer was not found
- Just Add - this option may produce customer
duplicates, since Store Manager will not try to find existing customers
but will only add all customers as new
Save Import Configuration. All import settings
can be saved under some configuration. You can load it next time you
decide to import customers to CubeCart from a file with similar
formatting, column names etc.
Import process will start, when you press "Import"
Button! Proceed only if all settings are made, otherwise press "Back"
Button and check settings once more!
- On the last step of Import Wizard you can see if any errors occurred while import.
Most frequent import errors are date, time and
number conversion issues, caused by improper format settings (specified
at previous page) or improperly assigned column (i.e. if you assign
column containing customer name to Address database field).
Date/time conversion errors might be ignored whereas other errors better to be fixed.
Now import of customers to CubeCart is finished.
By eMagicOne Inc.